Thursday, January 22, 2015

Coming of Age: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian 
by Sherman Alexie

Read for the "Coming of Age" Theme

In reading this novel, I have re-discovered what young adult means. Originally, I was expecting something like Twilight. Not like vampires and gushy love stories and terrible writing. But a story that had issues and was more tame in certain areas. I just I should say I was not expecting to be reading about the main character’s sexual awakening in the first few pages of the book.  I didn’t realize that YA books talked about masturbation. And that there would be swearing. And bulimia. And a lot of death. But I think that’s ok. I have nothing against that whatsoever. Just wasn’t expecting it is all.


In fact, I think I really liked how those topics and issues were brought up in this book. They are all issues that I have faced, and I’m only 21. And the book handles these issues so delicately too. It’s honest and blunt, which makes it refreshing to me. I have read books in the past with these or similar issues but they coddle the topic or ignore it or over-dramatize it. To me, this book did a really good job to confront those issues in a realistic way. And as someone who has very personal connection to these saturated topics, I didn't feel offended or slighted by the depiction of these issues and themes. Rather, I found myself nodding my head and agreeing with Junior's actions and portrayals. 

Overall, this is a book I would love to recommend to future students. It might be a stretch to get a school-board to allow me to teach it, but if given the opportunity I would love to!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm a Bridgewater College student also taking YA Literature this semester. While I haven't read this book, Dr. Martin has told us what a wonderful book it is. I think you really got at the core of what YA Literature is. Most young adults are experiencing these things for the first time, and they don't get to experience it sugar coated. I believe that's why authors try and get at these raw and emotion-filled topics. In a way it might help young adults get through their struggles easier. I know in a lot of these, a young adult could feel very alone and vulnerable but knowing that another person, even a fictional character, is going through something similar might help them get through their own hardships.

    ReplyDelete